Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 17:25:47 -0500
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Splitting workload on multiple hosts

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 3:51 PM, Lasse Knudsen
<lasse.h.knudsen@...il.com> wrote:
> i was wondering if is possible to split a large john job up into many
> smaller jobs, lets say 10000, where we these jobs then indivually can be
> send off to a compute grid?
Others asked very similar questions (like me:)
http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2011/06/28/1

> eg.
> aaaaaaaa-ZZZZZZZZZ gets split up into 10000 individual jobs that each take
> a fraction of the job?
> look like the Incremental:ALLN almost does this, but just splitting on the
> individual characters rather than just the amount of characters in the job
> slice.
http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2011/06/28/1 Incremental
isn't as "dumb" as aaa, aab, aac, aad etc... It chooses more likely
candidates than that. There is an External mode called "dumbforce" and
I asked about that here:
http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2012/08/06/3 it does iterate
in a more traditional brute force way.
> I guess it could be done, by generating the wordlists (aaaaaaaaaa-bbbbbbbb)
> and then feed individual wordlists to the jobs, but i believe that would
> take a lot time to generate, and they would consume space.
There are other places you may want to look at first before posting
questions, but certainly follow up or ask further questions if you are
not satisfied with what you find.
http://openwall.info/wiki/john