Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 23:50:48 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: team john-users writeup

Hi,

Here's our team's "Crack Me If You Can" DEFCON 2010 contest writeup.
I wrote it with input from others on our team.  Unfortunately, this
resulted in the writeup being somewhat focused on what I did vs. what
other did during the contest.  This is partially compensated for by
Simon (team bartavelle) and Matt having posted their own writeups, which
I refer to.

Warning: this writeup is lengthy!  Sorry about that. ;-)

---
	Thanks (brief).

We'd like to thank:

KoreLogic, and Minga and Hank in particular - for the contest;
Team bartavelle and Frank Dittrich - for their contributions;
Team CrackHeads - for several things (see end of this writeup);
Fyodor - for volunteering to (co-)represent us at DEFCON;
Alain Espinosa - for the NTLM hashing code (in JtR jumbo patch).

We would also like to thank and apologize to team smelly_weigand for
failing to use their offered contribution.

Please refer to the full "Thanks" section at the end of this writeup for
more detail.  (It was too long to start the writeup with it.)

	The team and contributors.

Active members (those who uploaded cracked passwords, listed in order
they joined the team):

Solar Designer (Russia)
Rich Rumble (US)
Matt Weir (US)
jmk (US)
Dhiru Kholia (Canada)
elijah (Russia)
bartavelle (person) (France)
websiteaccess (France)
Guth (France)

Other contributors (who did not participate on the team, so there was no
coordination with them, yet they sent in cracked passwords to us):

bartavelle (team) (France)
Frank Dittrich (Germany)

With few exceptions, we're unable to reliably determine the effect of
individual contributions.  We focused on getting a higher score as a
team rather than on keeping track of everyone's individual
contributions, and after about 10 hours into the contest we started
reusing "team-wide" cracked passwords as wordlists and as material for
.chr files and the like, and for manual analysis.  So each contribution
also improved other people's further contributions.

With almost all cracked password uploads, except for a few early ones,
there was huge overlap with passwords cracked by others on our team -
typically on the order of 90% or more (that is, only around 10% or less
of independently-cracked passwords tended to be new/unique rather than
already cracked by others on our team).

Yet we're grateful to all who have contributed!  The small numbers of
non-overlapping passwords simply reflect the nature of password cracking
and password security, confirming that it makes sense to detect and
eliminate weak passwords (then only relatively few of the remaining ones
are crackable by another attacker).

	Computing resources.

Direct use by the team (not counting contributions by team bartavelle),
averages for contest duration (48 hours): approx. 30 CPU cores, approx.
1 GPU.

Solar: otherwise-idle cycles (approx. 90%) of up to 12 CPU cores (over 3
quad-core CPUs in servers), roughly 8 CPU cores in use on average.
(Could use several quad-core machines more, but had no time to
reasonably put them to use.  Spent time on launching more focused
attacks instead.)

Rich: 8 CPU cores (total for 3 computers), mostly in use.

Matt: "2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Mac Laptop", "Asus EEE Netbook".
Matt's own detailed writeup is at:
http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2010/08/11/1

jmk, own use ("averaging about 3 cores for 35-40 hours"):
Dual Intel Xeon E5410 (2.33 GHz) quad core processors - 8 cores total

jmk, contributed to bartavelle's cluster ("connected to the JtR server
for about 35-40 hours"):
Intel M520 (2.53 Ghz) dual core w/ HT
AMD X2 5600+ dual core

Dhiru: Core i5, AMD X3 720, Intel Atom 1.6 GHz (ran JtR and rcracki-mt),
ATI 4870 and 5970 (ran ighashgpu), but less than one GPU used on average
during contest time.  "Most of the cracking was done on Intel i5 CPU,
some minor work was done on AMD X3 720 and Intel Atom 1.6Ghz."

elijah: AMD Athlon x2 4200 (JtR with jumbo patch, "lots of rules and a
pinch of luck")

bartavelle: see "bartavelle" team writeup:
http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2010/08/10/1

websiteaccess: Core i7 (Mac) in use during part of the contest time

Guth: 3-4 CPU cores during part of the contest time

Frank: a few CPU cores for quick JtR wordlist runs and a one-time
contribution of the results (approx. one hour total wall clock running
time, so must be no more than a few CPU-hours)

	Tools.

John the Ripper, jumbo patch, other patches - used by all on the team.

Matt's probabilistic cracker (uses JtR) - used by Matt only.

rcracki-mt (on LM hashes, mostly overlapping with those cracked by JtR) -
used by Dhiru (LM) and Guth (Oracle SYS and SYSTEM usernames).

rcrack - used by jmk to crack the remaining two LM hashes.

ighashgpu (on NTLM hashes, cracking a total of 1732 by far most of which
overlapped with hashes cracked by JtR) - used by Dhiru only.

	Custom code written or modified during the contest.

Custom Perl scripts, such as revisions of mix.pl to generate double-word
lists: http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2010/02/14/5

JtR wordlist rules and external modes.

Custom shell scripts to automate merging of uploaded files, to generate
cracked/uncracked password/hash lists and .chr files for the team to
possibly reuse, and to make contest submissions (on cron).

	Wordlists.

We used the following wordlists:

JtR password.lst.

Previously-cracked passwords (both from contest hashes and others).

Manually-created contest-specific tiny wordlists based on analysis of
cracked contest passwords.

RockYou list (and "Top N" sub-lists from it to use with lots of rules).

Combinations of the above (e.g., contest-specific words concatenated
with RockYou Top 1000).

JtR Pro revision of all.lst (in addition to words in many languages,
includes a little bit of incremental mode and --external=Keyboard
output, which thus got subjected to wordlist rules).

Openwall collection revision of all.lst, insidepro_big (used by Dhiru).

"Various InsidePro "From Queue" dictionaries" (used by Matt)

wikipedia-wordlist-sraveau-20090325 (late in the contest and against NTLM
hashes only, by Solar and Matt).

A large second-level domain name list, with rules adding com/net/org TLDs
after that pattern was identified in contest passwords.  (Other TLDs were
also probed, including all two-letter ones - no luck - so the focus was
made on just com/net/org, which proved to be correct.)

Perhaps many others.

	Team building and management.

We (team john-users) did not prepare for the contest at all.  Solar
decided to participate and invited others to join roughly 12 hours
before contest start.

Thus, people were joining during the first day of the contest (when some
of us were already cracking the hashes).  Solar was completing setup of
the file exchange server, creating accounts, adding SSH keys,
troubleshooting some team members' login issues, etc. during the
contest.  We used an OpenVZ container with and on an Owl system
(Openwall's Linux distro), with per-person accounts and some shared
directories, with file permissions set/adjusted during the contest as
needed - and eventually with some scripts on cron.  Solar also setup a
private mailing list for discussions internal to the team; by the end of
the contest, we had 11 subscribers (most of them active team members,
some not - we gave everyone a chance).

The coordination was very loose, largely because of the lack of advance
planning, because Solar was also one of the primary people to actually
attack the hashes (leaving a lot less time for coordination), because it
is hard and often unreasonable to avoid overlap (avoiding it costs
people's time, so we could as well throw more CPUs at the task instead),
and frankly because many of us appeared to be unwilling to coordinate
(most went with whatever they liked to do, which is quite natural, yet
it resulted in higher overlap in attacks attempted and hashes cracked).

	How the different hash types were approached.

One of the first tasks was to determine what hash types we were given,
although this proceeded in parallel with some non-focused initial JtR
runs on whatever hash types were already identified.

Soon we reliably identified all hash types but the Oracle hashes, which
we were not 100% sure of.

As suggested by some team members, the hashes list that was provided to
us was eventually split into separate files by hash type, and then we
also created separate files with admin accounts only (which we assumed
were those with a GID of 0 or/and with the "admin" substring in the
username).  This was not essential for use with JtR (which is why it was
not done right away), yet apparently it was convenient to some of us.
Closer to the end of the first day, we also had a cron job producing
per-hash-type lists of uncracked hashes - for faster further attacks on
salted hashes.

For all hash types, we ran JtR with default settings against them at
least briefly to catch the weakest passwords first.  The per hash type
sections below mostly describe other attacks.

	NTLM hashes.

These are what the contest was about.  Although it was apparent from the
number of these hashes and the speed at which they could be computed, we
only truly focused on them closer to the end of the first day (and not
everyone on our team did).  We were concerned that we could be behind
other teams due to them getting more hashes of other types if we focused
almost solely on NTLM.  Clearly, for a chance to win, we did need to
attack all other saltless hashes as well (LM, SHA) and attack the salted
ones at least lightly (although we ended up doing a lot more than that -
maybe too much given that NTLMs could use more of our attention).  Also,
most admin accounts, which give extra points, corresponded to hashes of
other types.

Anyhow, early attacks against NTLM hashes, besides JtR's default
settings, included runs of the RockYou list (with duplicates purged)
with small rulesets, and runs of smaller wordlists (password.lst,
RockYou Top N) with larger rulesets.  Specifically, the "single crack"
mode ruleset was used with wordlist mode, and its "crazy" section was
uncommented and even expanded with 4-digit append/prepend rules.

A further attack was to run rockyou.chr released by Kore against NTLM
hashes on a Q6600 machine that Solar temporarily dedicated for the
purpose.  The workload was distributed across 4 CPU cores by password
length: 0-5, 6, 7, and 8.  The 0-5 run completed shortly, and was
replaced by other quick attacks (sequentially, sometimes leaving this
core mostly-idle for quite a while).  These included --external=Keyboard
for lengths 1 to 10 (and a bit of 11), which only cracked a password of
length 7 and lots of length 8 (Kore, this lengths distribution is not
realistic).  It also included four modified-KnownForce runs to
exhaustively search the abcd19nn, abcd20nn, 19nnabcd, and 20nnabcd
patterns (identified from previously cracked passwords), where abcd was
an arbitrary string of four lowercase letters ("aaaa" through "zzzz")
and nn was an arbitrary two-digit string ("00" through "99").

Closer to the second day of the contest, a list of contest-specific
words was compiled.  Although early revisions of the list varied a bit,
ultimately (for our team) it was:

korelogic defcon Defcon blackhat facebook lasvegas LasVegas vegas
whitehat hello 1234 jan feb mar apr may jun jul aug sep oct nov dec
january february march april may june july august september october
november december janu febr marc apri augu sept octo nove dece monday
tuesday wednesday thursday friday saturday sunday one two three four
five six seven eight nine ten eleven twelve twenty thirty fourty fifty
sixty seventy eighty ninety hundred thousand million billion winter
spring summer autumn wintertime springtime summertime autumntime

(although some people on the team had their own lists).  Yes, "fourty"
was misspelled, and this was not noticed, unfortunately (should have run
a spellchecker over the wordlist).  Also, this did not include "fall" as
it did not appear to be common enough, but looking at Kore's published
rulesets it is there along with the common words above.

This list was run (on a free core of yet another quad-core machine)
against NTLM hashes with very large numbers of rules (a few million
after preprocessor expansion).  Specifically, a very effective ruleset
line was:

o[0-9][ -~] o[0-9][ -~]

(overstrike any one or two characters with any other printable ASCII
characters).  Due to the speed at which NTLM hashes could be computed,
we did not really have to identify specific substitutions (or at least
not yet), as long as no more than two characters in a (pass)word were
substituted at once.  Ditto for inserts of up to two characters.  Going
to three would be a bit too slow (would take 1000x longer); instead, we
caught some of those passwords by applying the same approach to
previously-cracked passwords (and eventually by identifying and encoding
some specific substitutions, although we did not do much in this area).

We also combined this with case toggling.  This was done by outputting
the tiny wordlist mangled with one set of rules (such as the above) to
"unique" and saving to a file, then applying a case-toggling ruleset
(the default "NT" ruleset or the like) to the resulting file.

Besides using the tiny contest-focused wordlist on its own, we were
combining it with itself (to form strings such as "sixtysix") and with
other common password lists using a variation of mix.pl (mentioned
above).  And we also ran the above rules (and the dual-application of
rules approach) against common password lists on their own.  We also
used "regular" rulesets (like the "single crack" mode one) against these
combined wordlists.  All of this was very effective and quite quick.

Another very effective approach was to use all substrings of cracked
passwords (rather than cracked passwords in their entirety only) for
"wordlists".  Substrings were being extracted with:

[List.Rules:substr]
x[0-9][4-9]

invoked with "... --stdout | ./unique cracked-substr".

Then cracked-substr was subjected to the kinds of processing described
above (mix.pl and/or dual-applied rulesets).

Although the above text uses "we", these things were pretty much done by
Solar alone (others were invited to apply similar processes and extend
or revise them to reduce overlap, but did not report on having done so).

Overall, this cracked thousands of NTLM hashes, but it is impossible to
tell exactly how many because of the reuse of previously-cracked
passwords for wordlists (including those cracked by others on the team
who were using other methods).

At about the same time, Dhiru was running some NTLM hashes through
ighashgpu, eventually uploading 1732 of cracked passwords (a small
number compared to what the approaches described above achieved), most
of which overlapped with those cracked with JtR (but there were some
unique/new ones as well - mostly those containing more than two uncommon
characters).

On the second day of the contest, Solar made a build of JtR capable of
applying incremental mode to lengths up to 10:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2007/07/04/6

The corresponding .chr file was generated based on contest passwords
cracked by that time.  It was then run against NTLM hashes separately
for length 9 and length 10 on two CPU cores (on a third quad-core
machine that was finally put to use).  It quickly cracked some new
passwords, but then its progress slowed down a lot (as expected).
Overall, by contest end this cracked only about 150 of new passwords.

Finally, closer to the end of the contest large wordlists such as
wikipedia-wordlist-sraveau-20090325 were run against NTLM hashes with
various rulesets created by that point.  Some of those runs completed
quickly (resulting in hundreds of new cracks), whereas a couple of
others were still running by contest end time and slowly cracking more
passwords (on one of Solar's machines).

The limiting factor appeared to be the time of people on our team.
With more effort (not requiring any more computing power), we could have
reverse-engineered more of Kore's rules, patterns, and wordlists, which
would enable cracking more of the passwords before contest end.  Without
those sufficiently specific rules and patterns, we had to be using more
generic but less efficient rules and wordlists, and we did not run
specific attacks on certain patterns that were seen.  For example, we
never derived the exact list of Kore's character substitutions, although
we had the material to do so.  We simply dropped not-so-common "Kore
words" such as "stdio" or sports teams because no one on our team would
compile a complete list of them anyway (so we were combining very common
"Kore words" listed above with pre-existing common (pass)word lists
instead).  This was largely compensated for by the "all substrings"
approach, though, which obviously caught all common and not-so-common
words seen in cracked passwords (but it also caught some "noise").

One approach we considered on the second day of the contest was
auto-generating rulesets based on cracked passwords.  JimF had posted
something along these lines to the john-users list in 2009:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2009/07/27/3

There was a brief attempt (by Solar) to get someone interested in trying
this out - but almost no one was interested/available (it was just 12
hours to go).  One person volunteered, but then never reported anything
back.  It would still be curious to explore this area on contest hashes
even after the contest has ended.

	LM hashes.

For LM hashes, Solar initially ran a build of JtR with faster DES key
setup (john-1.7.6-fast-des-key-setup-3.diff.gz) on a single core of a
Core i7 CPU.  This completed lengths 0 through 6 promptly and it also
cracked many length 7 password "halves".  The intent was to go for an
exhaustive search over the printable ASCII space for length 7 by
dedicating the Core i7 machine to it the next day (we had several extra
quad-core machines available for use anyway).  This should have
completed in time.  However, Dhiru was quicker to go with rainbow
tables, and then jmk cracked the two remaining hashes with a different
set of rainbow tables.  So the "JtR plan" against LM hashes was canceled,
thereby saving Solar some time on (not) setting that attack up.

Although we cracked all LM hashes, there was an issue with submitting
the corresponding passwords properly (see below).

	Netscape LDAP SHA hashes (saltless).

These were similar to NTLM in terms of attacks to run against them,
however their number was substantially smaller, so we did not focus on
them - essentially only running simple attacks and variations of
previously-cracked passwords (for all hash types) against them.

As an exception, bartavelle actually spent some time on them,
re-encoding them from base64 to hex such that he could use his
unreleased faster raw SHA-1 code instead of the Netscape LDAP specific
code.  Then he had to have them re-encoded back to base64 for
submission, because our submission script would filter out non-contest
hashes, which was in turn caused by one of the team members not cleaning
up their pot file for the contest. ;-)

	Netscape LDAP SSHA hashes (salted).

These were almost exclusively left for team members other than Solar to
attack, as a way to reduce overlap.  Probably the usual sets of attacks
were run against them (this was not documented by team members).  Only
very brief attacks were run by Solar (JtR defaults for a little while,
trivial variations of cracked contest passwords from all hash types, and
not so trivial variations against admin accounts with this hash type).
Clearly, we could have done better, although this would not provide a
lot of additional points (not enough to make a difference overall).

	MD5-based crypt hashes.

For the MD5-based crypt hashes, Solar initially ran JtR with default
settings (just to make use of a CPU core while focusing on other things),
which was then permitted to run for a long while.  The plan was to make
a build of JtR with bartavelle's patch for much faster SSE2-enabled
support for these hashes and use that.  However, when bartavelle himself
joined our team closer to the end of the first day, this plan was
canceled, and bartavelle was the person to focus on these hashes.  Ditto
for Markov mode runs.

	DES-based crypt hashes.

For the DES-based crypt hashes, some attacks were split over 2 CPU cores
with the "--salts=3" and "--salts=-3" options.  That is, salts shared by
more hashes were attacked quicker or harder than those with fewer hashes.
This was done at least for some incremental mode runs and then for an
exhaustive search over abcdYYYY and YYYYabcd patterns, where YYYY was a
year number in the range 1959 to 2019 and abcd was an arbitrary string
of four lowercase letters ("aaaa" through "zzzz").

The years range was previously determined from incremental mode runs
against NTLM hashes and then from the modified-KnownForce run over a much
wider years range against the NTLM hashes, which was described above.
Somehow this years range is slightly inconsistent with rules published
by Kore; we did not investigate whether it was due to an error on our
part or due to Kore using only a subset of the hashes that their
rulesets could generate.  Anyhow, for NTLM hashes restricting the years
range did not matter, but for DES-based crypt ones it did (we'd need to
dedicate more than two CPU cores to the task to complete the exhaustive
search in time if the range were wider).

The above was done by Solar, informing others on the team in case anyone
would want to do it for other hash types (besides NTLM and DES crypt),
but apparently that was never done (which was OK - we did not have all
that many other hash types suitable for this attack given the resources
and time available... although SHA and SSHA were suitable).

elijah also did incremental mode runs against these hashes using
contest-specific .chr files (based on previously cracked passwords), and
he tried some custom substitution rules, as well as this ruleset
previously posted by Minga:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2009/03/28/2

Given its origin, we probably should have played with it more (e.g.,
updated for year 2010 and ran against other hash types as well), but we
did not.  On the other hand, other attacks we performed against NTLM
hashes should have covered these patterns.

Some others tried cracking the DES-based crypt hashes by various means
as well, but overall we did not focus on them as much as we did on NTLM.

	Blowfish-based crypt hashes.

Solar (and likely others) initially ran JtR with default settings
against all 80 hashes on a single CPU core (which would be otherwise
idle anyway).  After a couple of hours (mostly spent on tasks unrelated
to this specific hash type), it was determined that none of the 80 had
very weak passwords, and considering the contest scoring and the
slowness of these hashes, it made sense to continue attacking only the
20 admin hashes (out of 80).  So that's what was done (by interrupting,
editing the .rec file to increment the options count and add "-g=0", and
continuing the session).  Others on the team were informed of this
decision.  Solar's attack on the 20 admin Blowfish hashes remained
running for many hours more, eventually being replaced with NTLM attacks
when it became convenient to run more of those on that machine.  Perhaps
others on the team attempted certain attacks as well.  None of these
hashes were cracked.

Running an OpenMP-enabled build against these hashes (the 20 admin ones
only) on a dedicated quad-core machine (and we had some spare ones) was
briefly considered (by Solar), but was not attempted - running more
focused attacks against NTLM hashes appeared to be a better use of time.

Looking at the plaintext passwords published by Kore after contest end,
some of these could probably be cracked by running heavier rules on
cracked passwords from other hash types - but even that kind of attack
would be very time-consuming (albeit feasible) and hardly worth it
against hashes of this type (it would make more sense to focus on
uncracked admin hashes of other types), unless the scoring were different.

	Oracle 10 hashes.

For a lot of detail on these "mystery" hashes, why no team cracked a
single one of them, what we tried against them, and the effect this had
on our overall performance, see:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2010/08/02/11

	Issues with submission of cracked passwords.

No one on our team was verifying whether the cracked passwords we were
submitting to Kore were actually correct.  Additionally, cracked hashes
were being excluded from the "uncracked" lists (that some of us used for
further attacks) without verification that the cracked passwords were
actually correct.  Lacking this kind of verification was obviously
wrong, but we did not appear to have the human resources to set it up
(it'd be a distraction from cracking more hashes).  Perhaps we should
have created this sort of scripts prior to contest start, although for
that we should have made the determination to participate in the contest
much sooner.  Anyhow, we were looking at the contest stats web page, and
our score displayed there was only a little bit lower than our own
estimate for what it should have been.  If it were substantially lower,
we would indeed be forced to verify our stuff.

As it turned out (was noticed by us during the contest), Kore's
passwords contained an abnormally high number of colons.  Of the
passwords we cracked, about 1000 contained colons.  For submissions in
john.pot format, this would make no difference (although it could have
affected scripts we'd use during password cracking).  However, when Kore
clarified that they wanted only the plaintexts, and complete ones for LM
hashes, Solar quickly hacked together a script that used "cut -d: -f2"
on a john.pot format file for non-LM hashes and
"john --show ... | cut -d: -f2" for LM hashes, planning to get back to
correcting this at a later time.  Unfortunately, this was only recalled
1 hour before contest end, at which time Solar, needing to focus on lots
of contest-related tasks at once, only had sufficient time to make the
trivial change of "-f2" (field two only) to "-f2-" (fields starting with
the second) for non-LM hashes.  The same trivial change would not work
right for LM hashes due to "john --show" output containing more than two
colon-delimited fields.  A slightly more complicated fix for LM hashes
was introduced and tested only 10 minutes _after_ contest end (so if
Kore ever publishes scores for post-content submissions, this should be
seen).  This should have affected hundreds of LM hash passwords.

Another issue was with DES-based crypt hashes, which process only 7 bits
of each character (ignoring the 8th bit).  This means that for a given
valid passwords, many variations of it are possible (with the 8th bit of
every character possibly flipped), most of which will not match those on
Kore's list of correct passwords, yet all of them are correct.  We ended
up submitting some of these passwords with the 8th bit on some
characters set (just because this is what was tested first in certain
attacks run by some members of our team).  In many cases (but not in
all), we also had the pure 7-bit versions of the same passwords cracked,
and these were also being submitted (due to the non-use of "john --show"
for this hash type, all variations that we had cracked were being
submitted).  This was noticed during the contest, and ideally we'd
convert all of these passwords to pure 7-bit, but we didn't have time
and arguably this was not worth the bother (it affected maybe around 100
passwords).  We do not know whether Kore's scripts were smart enough to
count these valid passwords with 8-bit characters towards our team's
score or not.

Finally, it appears that some yet unidentified software in use by two
members of the team did not handle backslashes in passwords correctly.
Some of their uploads contained missing, double, or quadruple
backslashes in place of single backslashes in passwords.  Luckily, most
of those passwords were also cracked by others of us, and all variations
were being submitted for all hash types but LM.  For LM hashes, this
might have affected our score somewhat.

Overall, we deserve some penalty on our contest score (which we must in
fact have incurred) for not being very careful with our submissions.

	Making use of otherwise-idle CPU cycles only.

For Solar's JtR runs during the contest, this was achieved in two ways:

For machines running OpenVZ kernels (two of the three quad-core
machines that were put to use), a dedicated OpenVZ container with an
x86-64 build of Owl was created (from a recent pre-created template
released by Openwall).  The container was set to have a relatively low
number of cpuunits - specifically, it was set to 100 cpuunits, whereas
all others on the system were set to at least 1000 cpuunits each.  Then
JtR's "Idle" setting was disabled (set to "N"), because OpenVZ uses a
two-level CPU scheduler anyway and we only needed to be "nice" to other
containers running on the system.  Some quick tests proved that this
worked as expected.

For a machine running a "regular" (non-OpenVZ) Linux kernel, the "Idle"
setting was made use of (kept at its current default of "Y"), which had
been tested to work well before (during John development).

	Summary.

The contest was fun indeed, but besides being fun it also required a lot
of concentration over the 48-hour period (and for a bit longer than that
since there were some preparations to make shortly before contest start).
Although we did not incur a direct monetary cost, the cost in people's
time was substantial.

The passwords were not real, and the distribution of different kinds of
passwords was somewhat non-realistic... but so what.  This meant that
part of the challenge was for us (and for other teams) to quickly adapt
to attacking these somewhat unusual passwords.  This also meant that
certain techniques that didn't work very well in this contest would have
in fact worked much better on real-world passwords, and vice versa.

For example, a few of the passwords hashed with Blowfish-based crypt
could be a lot weaker (and would actually get cracked): there exist
many systems that use hashes of this type without any password policy
enforcement.  Most of the Oracle passwords would be weak and would get
cracked, and the corresponding usernames would be known reliably.
There would be lot more of digits-only passwords.  The keyboard-based
patterns would not be magically restricted to length 8.  Passwords would
sometimes be username-based.  On the other hand, extensive case toggling
would be a bit less effective.

On the bright side, many of us learned new things, and we've identified
shortcomings of our approaches and software that are also relevant for
real-world password security audits.  Certain improvements to
John the Ripper will likely be made as a result of this contest.

The files released by KoreLogic will play an important role in testing
and tuning of current and future password security software and
techniques.  It is now possible to derive lists of cracked and uncracked
passwords.  These passwords, through their hashes, have been tested by
many people from many teams using significant cumulative computing
resources, as well as many different tools, techniques, and wordlists.
This makes them very valuable.

	Thanks.

Minga and Hank of KoreLogic did a great job at making this contest
possible - thank you!

We'd like to thank team bartavelle and Frank Dittrich for their
contributions to our team's cracked passwords pool.  We're also grateful
to team smelly_weigand for offering their cracked passwords to us, and
we're sorry that we never merged those due to a coordination error on
our part.

Matt and Fyodor volunteered to represent our team at DEFCON, making our
participation official - thank you from the rest of us!

We would also like to thank all other teams that participated and made
this contest a real challenge for every team involved.  Our special
thanks are to team CrackHeads who, while remaining completely separate
from us during the contest, have also made use primarily of
John the Ripper and provided useful feedback in their writeup:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2010/08/03/1

Additionally, we'd like to thank KoreLogic for funding the contest,
including the cash prizes (and our "3rd eligible place" $100 prize
specifically), and CrackHeads for kindly donating $100 out of their $300
cash prize towards JtR development (with the remaining $200 covering
their Amazon EC2 costs).

Finally, we'd like to thank Alain Espinosa for contributing his
efficient NTLM hashing code (currently in JtR jumbo patch), which was
instrumental to efficient use of John the Ripper during the contest.
With approval from CrackHeads, we're going to direct the $200 ($100 from
team john-users and $100 from CrackHeads) to Alain as a way to thank him
in a more tangible way.  His contribution is clearly worth it (and
more), and not only for the contest!
---

Alexander