Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 09:28:57 -0600
From: RB <aoz.syn@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Contribution licensing

I appreciate the new content on the wiki regarding licensing, and it
brings up a point I have questions about.

Specifically, on my MPI work (what little rearrangement I've done),
there seems to be no original explicit license by Ryan Lim.  The
patchset carried around some copyright bits for a while, but upon
closer examination those seem to have simply been parts of JtR's
licensing from 1.6 that were indiscriminately included in the diff.  I
added the weasel words about being licensed "under the same terms as
JtR itself", but all that really meant was "I have no idea what the
license is, and I'm not changing it."  Anyone have an opinion on this?

In all honesty I'd rather just grant a completely liberal license on
this particular work to Openwall/Solar and let them re-license as they
see fit.  Unfortunately, it's still technically a derivative work
(even though it bears almost no resemblance to the original), so in
absence of a prior license I don't think I have the right to do so.
Thoughts?