Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 03:21:59 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Contribution licensing

On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 09:28:57AM -0600, RB wrote:
> Specifically, on my MPI work (what little rearrangement I've done),
> there seems to be no original explicit license by Ryan Lim.
[...]
> In all honesty I'd rather just grant a completely liberal license on
> this particular work to Openwall/Solar and let them re-license as they
> see fit.  Unfortunately, it's still technically a derivative work
> (even though it bears almost no resemblance to the original), so in
> absence of a prior license I don't think I have the right to do so.

I think it makes sense to try approaching Ryan Lim about this.  Point
him at http://openwall.info/wiki/john/licensing and at this posting, and
try to get him to publish his code with a proper statement - or at least
to make a public statement as it relates to his code (he'd need to be
specific).  Failing that, you could look at just how much of Ryan's code
you have left in the patch - maybe whatever you might have left is too
minor to be subject to copyright.

Thanks,

Alexander