Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 22:02:38 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: JtR 1.7 Compile Errors on AIX 5.2

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 07:46:02PM +0100, rembrandt@...erlin.de wrote:
> Solar uses GCC

Actually, the only pre-defined target for AIX uses the native XL C, not
gcc, -- although "make clean generic" should work as well, using gcc.

> so maybe using GCC too will save your day. ;)

This is a good advice (and in fact I am guilty of suggesting it myself,
as an option), but let's not forget that one of the goals is to fix the
bugs in John, if any, not just to make things compile for a particular
user this one time.

So I'd appreciate it if Joseph could assist in debugging the XL C build
failure.  The first thing to do would be to make sure that a proper
compiler version is being used and that other programs can be compiled
with the same setup.  If John still does not build with that version of
XL C, then we need to investigate the problem more thoroughly.

Also, I'd be interested in adding an aix-ppc64 target (64-bit), if
anyone with a proper AIX system would be willing to assist with that.

P.S. Rembrandt, as I have mentioned to you in a private e-mail, your
overquoting was once again not appreciated. :-(

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598