Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 21:47:48 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: JtR 1.7 Compile Errors on AIX 5.2

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 12:01:31PM -0600, Joseph Pugh wrote:
> The command that I am using from within the ./src directory is:  make
> clean aix-ppc32

That's correct.

>       "/usr/include/sys/var.h", line 118.2: 1506-046 (S) Syntax error.

This and the preceding warnings suggest that the version of your C
compiler somehow does not agree with the version of the rest of your
system (or maybe there's another inconsistency in versions of installed
software).

Are you able to compile other non-trivial programs with this setup?

> Has anyone seen this error on AIX?

I have not.

> If so, can you suggest a way to alleviate it?

There are two options:

1. Install the proper version of XL C for your version of AIX, then try
"make clean aix-ppc32" again.

2. Install gcc instead of XL C, then try "make clean generic".

Either way, please let john-users know of your results.

Even if everything compiles, but there are any compiler warnings, I'd
appreciate a copy of the complete build log such that I can fix the
causes of the warnings (except for those which relate to problems with
the compiler setup).

Thanks,

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598

Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here: http://rate.affero.net/solar