Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 21:47:48 +0300
From: Solar Designer <>
Subject: Re: JtR 1.7 Compile Errors on AIX 5.2

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 12:01:31PM -0600, Joseph Pugh wrote:
> The command that I am using from within the ./src directory is:  make
> clean aix-ppc32

That's correct.

>       "/usr/include/sys/var.h", line 118.2: 1506-046 (S) Syntax error.

This and the preceding warnings suggest that the version of your C
compiler somehow does not agree with the version of the rest of your
system (or maybe there's another inconsistency in versions of installed

Are you able to compile other non-trivial programs with this setup?

> Has anyone seen this error on AIX?

I have not.

> If so, can you suggest a way to alleviate it?

There are two options:

1. Install the proper version of XL C for your version of AIX, then try
"make clean aix-ppc32" again.

2. Install gcc instead of XL C, then try "make clean generic".

Either way, please let john-users know of your results.

Even if everything compiles, but there are any compiler warnings, I'd
appreciate a copy of the complete build log such that I can fix the
causes of the warnings (except for those which relate to problems with
the compiler setup).

Alexander Peslyak <solar at>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598 - bringing security into open computing environments

Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here: