Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2015 14:11:13 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Kai's weekly report #6

Hi Kai,

On Mon, Jun 08, 2015 at 08:17:47AM +0800, Kai Zhao wrote:
> Accomplishments:
> 1. Fuzz generic hashes by afl, finished.

Finished?  What about false positives detection?

By "generic", do you mean those implemented on host CPU?

>    Fuzz generic hashes by Solar's fuzz.pl, not finished.
>
>    Here is the fuzzing report on hashes.
>
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2015/06/07/6
>
> 2. Discuss coding style, not finished.
>
> Priorities:
> 1. Fuzz opencl hashes by afl.

OpenCL and CUDA, please.  And not only by afl, but also by fuzz.pl.

> 2. Optimize Solar's fuzz.pl and fuzz generic hashes.

OK.  What do you want to optimize there, though?

I think you should add false positives detection and more replacement
characters (add '*' and '#').  I wouldn't call these changes
"optimization".  As to possible optimization, the use of child processes
can be improved, but frankly I have my doubts whether you'd do it well.
Feel free to try, though.

Alexander