Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 08:50:26 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: Current -fixes GPU formats vs TS

>On Tuesday July 24, 2012 7:56 AM: Lukas Odzioba wrote,

>Anyway I am unhappy with those results but thanks for testing it!
>
>P.S.
>In my opinion if password length is grater than what format can hande TS
>must not treat this as failed tests. This leads to annoying false tests,
>and if I tommorow change tests to support length up to 128 chars we will
>get near 100% failed tests which is not what  expect.

This not a simple solution. The information about what the format is capable
of is new. It was NOT available when the TS was being written.

Also, the simple 'plaintext_length' is not good enough.  It also has to do
with encodings, with 'garbage' data that causes 'broken' encodings, etc.

Yes, the simple changes are on my todo list (know and 'honor' the plaintext
length.   But that is not the final solution.

Jim.