Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2012 21:08:39 +0200
From: magnum <>
Subject: Re: Current -fixes GPU formats vs TS

On 2012-07-24 05:20, magnum wrote:
> I'm starting to wonder if this is just a strange Test Suite problem. For
> example, I do this:
> magnum@...l:test [master]$ ./ -noprelim nt-opencl -stoponerror
> - JtR-TestSuite (jtrts). Version 1.12.11, July 20, 2012.  By, Jim
> Fougeron & others
> - Testing:  John the Ripper password cracker, ver: 1.7.9-jumbo-7RC
> [linux-x86-64-gpu]
> John Jumbo build detected.
> form=nt-opencl                    guesses:    0 unk unk : Expected
> count(s) (1478)  [!!!FAILED!!!]
> Exiting on error.  The pot file ./tst.pot contains the found data
> The command used to run this test was:
> ../run/john -ses=./tst -nolog -pot=./tst.pot --wordlist=pw.dic
> '-form=nt-opencl' 2>&1 >/dev/null
> But here is what beats me. Right after the above -stoponerror, I do this:
> magnum@...l:test [master]$ wc -l tst.pot
> 1478 tst.pot
> So why does it say zero guesses? OK so I rm tst.pot and run the test as
> printed:

Bug found. It was caused by the OpenCL progress indicator. It made the
guesses line look something like this (where ^H is backspace):

\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^Hguesses: ...

...and Test Suite could not parse that. So we now remove everything up
to the last backspace. This was very hard to nail because I never saw
the darn thing in my debugging - but the length of the line did not
match what I saw.