Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 18:05:59 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: ./john --test --format=crypt --subformat=BF (usage
 problem)

On 06/06/2012 11:32 PM, magnum wrote:
> On 06/06/2012 11:24 PM, Frank Dittrich wrote:
>> I would make listing and checking subformat names similar to format
>> names. Than means, now that the list of formats in the usage output is
>> written in lower case, I would use lower case subformats in the stderr
>> output. I'd also allow using upper case subformat names, since
>> --format=DES also works.
>> I wouldn't list all the different ways to specify a particular
>> subformat, just listing bf instead of bf, bcrypt and blowfish is OK.
>> Sould we also use raw-sha256 and raw-sha512 as subformat names instead,
>> to match the format names?
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> All these are valid concerns and I probably meant to use strcasecmp().
> I'll have a look some time. Or would you like to submit a patch?

OK, done.

I even invested a little time studying basic git usage.
See the attached patch file.
I hope I got this right. If not, please let me know what I'm doing wrong.

I implemented all the suggested changes.

You can now use upper and lower case subformat names.
In addition to the subformat names that were previously allowed I added
raw-sga256 and raw-sha512.
I didn't remove sha256, sha-256, sha512 and sha-512, bcrypt and
blowfish, because I don't know which script might rely on the old
subformat names.

$ ./john --test --format=crypt --subformat=?
Subformat unknown to John. Currently supported: des, md5, bf,
raw-sha256, raw-sha512

So, bash completion will list these options:

$ ./john --test --format=crypt --subformat=[tab][tab]
bf          des         md5         raw-sha256  raw-sha512

Unfortunately, I forgot to support bash completion for upper case
subformats.

So, this will currently not work:

$ ./john --test --format=crypt --subformat=D[tab]

I'll send a separate patch for john.bash completion which completes
$ ./john --test --format=crypt --subformat=D[tab]
$ ./john --test --format=crypt --subformat=des

Frank

View attachment "c3_fmt.patch" of type "text/x-patch" (4155 bytes)