Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 00:05:42 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: ./john --test --format=crypt --subformat=BF (usage
 problem)

On 06/06/2012 11:32 PM, magnum wrote:
> All these are valid concerns and I probably meant to use strcasecmp().
> I'll have a look some time. Or would you like to submit a patch?

I'm still busy testing john.bash_completion, and I start getting tired,
so I won't send a patch for c3_fmt.c today. May be tomorrow.
Today I'll just finish by bash completion changes.

If I send a patch for c3_fmt.c, I'll adjust my bash completion script as
well.
May be I'll even make use of the stderr output of
$ ./john --test=0 --format=crypt --subformat=?
for bash completion.
Is the test suite making use of --format=crypt --subformat=...?
If so, where do I grap the latest copy, to check which subformat names
are used?

> By the way, on my current Ubuntu 12 using BF, I get this:
>
> $ ../run/john -test --format=crypt --subformat=bf
> Benchmarking: generic crypt(3) BF x32 [?/64]... (2xOMP) Generic crypt(3)
> module: hash encoding string length 60, type id $2
> appears to be unsupported on this system; will not load such hashes.
> FAILED (valid)

I got the same on my fedora 16 system.

> This may look like a problem but is just the result of my system's
> crypt() not supporting BF. Not sure how to work around that but I don't
> think it's very important.

I also thought about trying
./john --test=0 --format=crypt --subformat=${subformat}
and checking stderr output for each possible subformat, but decided that
for bash completion a hard coded list has to be good enough.

And it would have been a bad idea:

$ time ./john --test=0 --format=crypt --subformat=sha-256
Warning: doing quick benchmarking - the performance numbers will be
inaccurate
Benchmarking: generic crypt(3) SHA-256 rounds=5000 [?/32]... DONE
Many salts:	41.9 c/s real, 42.1 c/s virtual
Only one salt:	42.2 c/s real, 42.2 c/s virtual

real	0m16.789s
user	0m16.611s
sys	0m0.118s

--subformat=sha-512 even takes 40 seconds on my atom netbook.
On my x86_64 notebook (i7-2820QM CPU @ 2.30GHz) each of these tests
takes 2.9 seconds

Frank