Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 23:20:31 +0200
From: Milen Rangelov <gat3way@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: OpenSSL and AES-NI (was: RAR format finally proper)

Hello again.

I tested the Intel AES-NI code (I modified it a bit as it did not follow
the OpenSSL convention that close as it initially appeared to).

To my (unpleasant) surprise, it did not bring the expected performance
gains with RAR. It did bring some small gains when header encryption was
used and indeed helped a lot more when no header encryption was used.
However the latter applies only when you have small files in the archive.
For some reason, this improvement does not scale linearily with the file
size. For small files in the archive I get quite an improvement. When files
in archive are several megabytes in size, the difference is not that huge
at all. And when files get several tens of megabytes in size, it really
does not matter where you use AES-NI or not - speed gets close to zero in
both cases :(

Perhaps like more can be achieved by tweaking the RAR decompression routine
in the libclamav code. I am not that happy with the result though, I put so
much hope on AES-NI...

Regards

Content of type "text/html" skipped