Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 00:57:15 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: vncpcap2john.cpp + Mac OS X

Dhiru, Erik -

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 7:45 PM, Erik Winkler <ewinkler@...ls.com> wrote:
> You would need to modify the code to use the BSD format as Linux supports both of versions.

Yes.  Please see how scanlogd does it:

http://www.openwall.com/scanlogd/

> You can then set Linux to choose the BSD format with the #define __USE_BSD and #define __FAVOR_BSD flags in the source code.

This tends to work technically, but it's a wrong thing to do.  Those
double-underscore feature macros are meant for use by libc itself only,
not to be set by programs.  Instead, you should "#define _BSD_SOURCE"
and let libc take care of defining the proper double-underscore macros.
That's what scanlogd does since 2002.

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 08:24:41PM +0530, Dhiru Kholia wrote:
> Thanks for the report Erik. I don't know much about socket
> programming. I am forwarding this to the list, so that someone else
> can have a look too.

Thank you for bringing this to the list.

While we're at it, maybe you could convert the program from C++ to plain C?
It hardly takes any advantage of C++, so staying plain C would make more
sense in JtR.

Alexander