Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 22:17:54 -0500
From: "JFoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: prepare() vs. split() (was: [john-users] Cracking Domino hash)

Doesn't split always get call later than valid?   If so, you can not adjust
the data item, like you can within prepare.  With prepare, you can adjust
the data content sent TO the valid function.  Thus, it allows for allowing
legacy type formats to still 'work', or an easy way for things like raw
hashes to work, without having to make complex code in valid, or in the
get_binary, or other 'conversion' functions.

Can that be done in split?   I did not think so, but I have not used it too
much.

Jim.