Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 06:54:04 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: prepare() vs. split() (was: [john-users] Cracking Domino hash)

magnum, Jim -

On Wed, Jul 06, 2011 at 02:50:26AM +0200, magnum wrote:
> For some reason you need to put parens around the hash:
>
> $ echo >blah.txt 'user:(Gl2g1LxkORRxxrTHqrY6)'
> $ ../run/john --format=dominosec blah.txt
> Loaded 1 password hash (More Secure Internet Password [RSA MD defined by
> BSAFE 1.x - Lotus v6])
> 12345678         (user)
> guesses: 1  time: 0:00:00:00 DONE (Wed Jul  6 02:47:02 2011)  c/s: 13616
>  trying: 12345678
>
> I'm not sure why it's made like this but we could make the format add
> them itself if not present, in the prepare() function.

Please don't over-use prepare().  I think what you propose is better
done in split(), like we'd do it before we introduced prepare().  In
general, I'd prefer us to limit the use of prepare() to things that
can't be done in split().  Makes sense?

Or should we do it the other way around, limiting the use of split() to
things that can't be done in prepare()?  That would also make sense, but
it'd be inconsistent with plenty of existing code.  So I prefer us to
limit the use of prepare().

Thanks,

Alexander