Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 14:25:38 +0300
From: Solar Designer <>
Subject: procmail mailbox truncation bug

There's a really nasty bug in procmail, both 3.15.2 and 3.22 are affected.

The bug is basically that procmail, when running into a disk quota or a
full partition, would truncate the mailbox file back to its prior size
_after_ releasing the lock.  This has resulted in numerous mailbox
corruptions on a mail server I co-administer and a week ago I managed to
reproduce this on purpose (with several instances of procmail being the
only software accessing the mailbox).  After my fix, I am no longer
able to reproduce this and there have been no further mailbox corruptions
during this week, so the fix appears to work.

The patch can be found in our CVSweb:

It's procmail-3.22-owl-truncate.diff

No, it's not dirty, it just follows procmail's original coding style.
No added gotos, sorry.

The official fix might need to be slightly different to not rely on

Alexander Peslyak <solar at>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598 - bringing security into open computing environments