Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 09:49:10 +0100
From: Christian Neukirchen <>
To: John Spencer <>
Subject: Re: wpa_supplicant + dhclient on boot

John Spencer <> writes:

> Elmo Todurov wrote:
>>> wpa_supplicant needs a bit time to do its magic, so dhclient can
>>> only succeed after the connection is established.
>> How hard would it be to extend wpa_supplicant to call a configured
>> script (say dhclient) after connecting?
> probably rather easy. i already hacked on wpa_supplicant once for a
> different purpose and was successful in a matter of minutes.
> i'd actually like wpa_supplicant to behave like this:
> - service is started in the background and does nothing
> - a command line frontend connects to the service and sends command to
>   establish connection to a wlan with given SSID and other parameters.
>   command line client runs till the connection is successfully
>   established or the try failed and indicates success in both command
>   line output and return value.
> - bg service keeps the connection established until told to quit by the
>   command line frontend.
> that way, wpa_supplicant could be easily scripted and/or used with
> custom gui frontends.
> but maybe i'm just not understanding the current design properly...

I'm not sure what you are doing, but for Arch+ignite, I run
these two commands as seperate services and it just works:

dhcpcd -qLB -t 0 -C wpa_supplicant -C timezone -C hostname wlan0
wpa_supplicant -i wlan0 -D nl80211,wext -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

I can change the wlan or add new ones via wpa_cli/wpa_gui.

Christian Neukirchen  <>