Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 10:40:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: px <px@...oday.net>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Question on upgrading and saved messages on server.

ok, that would explain it then.  I had went from 0.5 to 0.6.3 ..

Thanks again,

Jason

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003, Solar Designer wrote:

#On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 12:56:05PM -0700, px wrote:
#> I've been using popa3d in a production environment for over a year now,
#> and the only issue i've ever run into was with upgrading.
#>
#> We have a handfull of users who are too incompetent to properly manage
#> their e-mail, so they have to save a copy on the server for up to two
#> weeks.  Everytime I upgrade popa3d, it forces them to redownload all
#> e-mail that is saved to the server.
#
#Are you sure it happens "every time"?  How many times have you
#upgraded popa3d on that server?  What versions those were?  What OS
#and processor architecture?
#
#The behavior you're describing is usually seen when the way message
#unique IDs (as seen with the UIDL command) are calculated changes.  I
#was careful to not do such changes without reason.  But I had to do it
#once, between versions 0.5 and 0.5.1.  So if you're upgrading from a
#version older than 0.5.1 to 0.5.1 or newer, then your users will have
#to re-download their mail stored on the server once.  Any other popa3d
#version upgrades shouldn't cause this behavior.
#
#