Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 17:57:35 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Question on upgrading and saved messages on server.

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 12:56:05PM -0700, px wrote:
> I've been using popa3d in a production environment for over a year now,
> and the only issue i've ever run into was with upgrading.
>
> We have a handfull of users who are too incompetent to properly manage
> their e-mail, so they have to save a copy on the server for up to two
> weeks.  Everytime I upgrade popa3d, it forces them to redownload all
> e-mail that is saved to the server.

Are you sure it happens "every time"?  How many times have you
upgraded popa3d on that server?  What versions those were?  What OS
and processor architecture?

The behavior you're describing is usually seen when the way message
unique IDs (as seen with the UIDL command) are calculated changes.  I
was careful to not do such changes without reason.  But I had to do it
once, between versions 0.5 and 0.5.1.  So if you're upgrading from a
version older than 0.5.1 to 0.5.1 or newer, then your users will have
to re-download their mail stored on the server once.  Any other popa3d
version upgrades shouldn't cause this behavior.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar@...nwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598