Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 00:33:22 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Mailbox Size Limit

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 08:09:45AM +1100, Daniel wrote:
> A 100MB limit seems pretty stringent to me though. Perhaps that limit was decided
> upon because the author had in mind heavier loads than what I would use it for.
>
> I setup OpenBSD systems for small companies with 10-20 users using smtp/pop etc.
>
> Do you think in such a situation a 300MB limit is likely to cause a service disruption?

Probably not, unless your memory size (or the portion which the kernel
would be willing to use for disk caching) is considerably smaller and
there's a malicious attack.

The 100 MB was a reasonable default setting for Linux with 128 MB RAM,
such that a single user can't make the service work several times
slower by constantly requesting a mailbox which wouldn't be cached
entirely in RAM.  I've since increased the default to 200 MB (but
OpenBSD hasn't updated to a newer version of popa3d yet).  Also, I
don't think the OpenBSD kernel will cache an entire 100 MB mailbox
with such an amount of memory, so the limit makes less sense there (it
will be slower than on Linux either way).

> Is there any other tweak I should make when increasing this limit?

No, not necessarily.

--
/sd