Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 17:16:52 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: popa3d comments

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 10:41:25AM +0200, Camiel Dobbelaar wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Solar Designer wrote:
> > If it's not logged in OpenBSD default setup, that should be fixed.
> > (Camiel is on this list.)
>
> The IP is logged when popa3d is running in daemon mode, or when it is
> invoked by tcpd (TCP wrappers).  In the latter case, it ends up in
> /var/log/authlog.
>
> If you look at OpenBSD's inetd.conf, you'll see that none of the entries
> have tcpd enabled by default, so that's not going to change.  However, the
> manpage tells you how to do it.

What about other services such as telnetd, -- will they, if enabled in
the obvious way, not log IP addresses as well?

> It's unfortunate that other logging gets swamped though.  Maybe popa3d
> should log things:
> Sep  9 10:12:18 zigzag popa3d[5892]: 1177 messages (12104845 bytes) loaded
> Sep  9 10:12:19 zigzag popa3d[5892]: 0 (0) deleted, 1177 (12104845) left
>
> with level debug?  That would cut the lograte in half.

I agree that the "loaded" message is mostly useful for debugging and
checking the performance of popa3d itself.  However, the final message
carries additional information, that the session has closed and when,
as well as how many messages were deleted (if any).  This is often
needed for tracking problems users may have with accessing their
mailboxes that are not caused by server-side issues.

--
/sd