Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 10:41:25 +0200 (CEST)
From: Camiel Dobbelaar <cd@...tia.nl>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: popa3d comments

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Solar Designer wrote:
> If it's not logged in OpenBSD default setup, that should be fixed.
> (Camiel is on this list.)

The IP is logged when popa3d is running in daemon mode, or when it is
invoked by tcpd (TCP wrappers).  In the latter case, it ends up in
/var/log/authlog.

If you look at OpenBSD's inetd.conf, you'll see that none of the entries
have tcpd enabled by default, so that's not going to change.  However, the
manpage tells you how to do it.

> This is a local configuration or distribution issue.  I believe the
> OpenBSD syslogd is advanced enough to filter by program (ident) even
> without them having to pick a unique facility.

Yes, that's what the '!' selector is for.  See the 'sudo' and 'chat'
examples in syslog.conf.  However, that will duplicate logging as the
daemon.info selector will also still pick up the logging from popa3d.

If you want logging from popa3d go to a seperate file, and not have
it duplicated in /var/log/daemon, you'll have to pick a different
facility (e.g. local2).  Change SYSLOG_FACILITY to 'local2' in
/usr/src/usr.sbin/popa3d/params.h and recompile/reinstall
popa3d.

Add:
local2.*	/var/log/popa3d
to /etc/syslog.conf.

Touch /var/log/popa3d, kill -HUP syslogd, and off you go.  Don't forget
/etc/newsyslog.conf also.

(Note that messages of level 'notice' will still also end up in
/var/log/messages, but that's a good thing).

pop3 logging will always tend to grow big quickly, because users poll for
their mail that often.  The 'daemon' facility is entirely appropriate for
popa3d, so that will not change.

It's unfortunate that other logging gets swamped though.  Maybe popa3d
should log things:
Sep  9 10:12:18 zigzag popa3d[5892]: 1177 messages (12104845 bytes) loaded
Sep  9 10:12:19 zigzag popa3d[5892]: 0 (0) deleted, 1177 (12104845) left

with level debug?  That would cut the lograte in half.

--
Cam