Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 09:22:44 -0500
From: Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey@...dmark.org>
To: passwords@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: GMOs And Passwords

On 2016-08-24, at 1:14 AM, e@...tmx.net wrote:

[long analogy snipped]

> I know you are wondering what all this nonsense has to do with passwords.
> Well, this is all about the information entropy, which you do happily assign to your passwords without even a glimpse of doubt: IS IT REALLY A QUALITY OF A PASSWORD??? CAN I CREATE A CHARACTERISTIC RELATION THAT MAPS PASSWORDS ON REAL NUMBERS AND IS A FUNCTION???

You do realize that you are preaching to the choir here? Everyone (or almost everyone) on this list is fully aware that the strength of a password is not a function of the password itself.

This, however, does not mean that password strength meters are useless. Even dumb strength meters can encourage people to improve passwords. And some password strength meters are less bad than others.

Cheers,

-j

Download attachment "smime.p7s" of type "application/pkcs7-signature" (3071 bytes)