Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2016 18:22:28 +0300
From: ArkanoiD <ark@...ex.net>
To: "e@...tmx.net" <passwords@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: 2-Factor vs Authentication

Yes, but it is not as simple as that -- there are different scenarios.

There are unauthorized access attacks, availability problems and
availability attacks.

Speaking on unauthorized access, say, we assume that 0.1% of potential
attackers have SS7 access (quite reasonable assumption in a script kiddie
world). And that's it: we reduce false positives one thousand times.

(In real world, it could be not as simple as that. If your potential
adversary _certainly_ has SS7 access, you may actually INCREASE the risk by
weakening password requirements due to second factor. Up to suicidal levels
if it is not second but the only one, as it has been proved with Telegram
hacks of russian political opposition activists recently. But it works for
most people.)

Random availability problems are affordable most of the time: in big cities
people always keep an eye on their phones for other reasons, and make sure
the battery is charged and the subscription is valid. That's why it works,
but there *should* be a way to opt out (and often there is -- like Google
Auth which is in fact TOTP). Though if you invent any method to bypass the
second factor, it becomes the primary attack path (as it happened all the
time with "security questions").

BTW, since your TOTP device is usually your phone, you need to keep it
charged in any circumstances.

Speaking on targeted attacks on availability, there *usually* is a reliable
way to convey more effective attack than to disrupt phone service.

Content of type "text/html" skipped