Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2016 14:45:38 +0200
From: "e@...tmx.net" <e@...tmx.net>
To: passwords@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: 2-Factor vs Authentication

On 07/04/2016 02:25 PM, Ark Arkenoi wrote:
> Yes, exactly: it was meant to massively reduce false positives, while keeping false negatives acceptably low.

false-negatives are never acceptably low, because they tend to occur in
very critical moments.
for example, with SMS second factor you lose access to your account when
travelling -- suddenly the password you carry in your VERY OWN HEAD is
no longer proof of this head identity -- this is fucking INSULTING.

Your interaction with your virtual representation became dependent on
fucking many random factors: your phone battery, your provider
availability, your physical location.

Not mentioning that the assumed attack cost against SS7 is only
applicable to random strangers -- for the mobile phone operator this
cost is ZERO.
your SMS second factor is compromised by literally many thousands people!

therefore, your initially assumed cost/benefit ratio is far from being
obvious. for me, it seems too costly, too damaging and barely beneficial
at all.