Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2016 14:25:24 +0300
From: gremlin@...mlin.ru
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: new Owl

On 2016-08-25 05:38:56 +0300, Solar Designer wrote:

 > We'll need to decide on whether and what to do with Owl next,
 > beside the prolonged life support. One possibility is turning
 > it into a smaller (and safer?) OpenVZ 7 hosting platform than
 > OpenVZ project's own VzLinux is (which is based on RHEL7,
 > inheriting the bloat), but nothing is certain yet.

That's how I use it.

Besides being the virtualization host, Owl perfectly fits for small
services normally running in a VDS (for me, that's only OpenVPN)
or in VPS (that's almost everything, unless it requires bloatware
like Java, Python or Ruby).

Possibly, we can create the VZ template with absolute minimum of
packages (primarily, libraries) for using as a starting point to
make containers for DNS, or mail server, or HTTP(S) frontend, or
database cluster member, or... whatever. Another option could be
to use multiple installorder.conf files for different setups and
choose among them during installation, like this:

make TARGET=(full|runtime|devel|host|vztemplate) installworld

That would allow our users to build their own distributions which
would perfectly fit their needs.

--
Alexey V. Vissarionov aka Gremlin from Kremlin
GPG: 8832FE9FA791F7968AC96E4E909DAC45EF3B1FA8

[ CONTENT OF TYPE application/pgp-signature SKIPPED ]