Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2016 18:33:32 +0300
From: croco@...nwall.com
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: new Owl

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 02:25:24PM +0300, gremlin@...mlin.ru wrote:
> On 2016-08-25 05:38:56 +0300, Solar Designer wrote:
>
>  > We'll need to decide on whether and what to do with Owl next,
>  > beside the prolonged life support. One possibility is turning
>  > it into a smaller (and safer?) OpenVZ 7 hosting platform than
>  > OpenVZ project's own VzLinux is (which is based on RHEL7,
>  > inheriting the bloat), but nothing is certain yet.
>
> That's how I use it.
>
> Besides being the virtualization host, Owl perfectly fits for small
> services normally running in a VDS (for me, that's only OpenVPN)
> or in VPS

Colleagues, could you pay attention to another possible task Owl perfectly
fits, namely a router/NAT box, primarily for SOHO environment?

I actually used Owl as a router for approx. 12 years (well, there was a P1
box with two ethernets running Owl).  I decided to retire that box when I
actually realized that it consumes a notable amount of electricity running
24*7, generating a lot of noise with all these coolers, and a tiny
Raspberry Pi will do exactly the same at almost no electricity cost and
with no noise at all.  I would continue using Owl for that purpose but I
failed at my attempts to build it for Raspberry, so my RasPi now runs
Raspbian.

>From the other hand, there are some (actually, many) devices that are able
to run OpenWRT; I think Owl, if it existed for these devices, could be
better option than OpenWRT.  Furthermore, I wouln't be too surprized to see
quagga being included into Owl or at least being available as a package,
making Owl PC a good cheap replacement for a Cisco router :-)

--
Croco