Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 16:15:40 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: OpenVZ Hosting Providers

Hi Simon,

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 11:57:19AM +0100, Simon Baker wrote:
> I currently have a debian VPS, which I'm looking to migrate elsewhere.
>
> Is anyone aware of a VPS hosting provider which has Owl templates
> available for use?

I think we/you should try approaching some VPS hosting providers and ask
them to start offering Owl, which will also increase public awareness of
our project, which will in turn help the project evolve faster.

Meanwhile, in the UK I recommend that you contact:

http://blueroomhosting.com

They're offering Linux KVM (not OpenVZ), but frankly that might be even
better for you.  They will install a Linux KVM-based VPS with Owl for
you if you ask for it (I had initial contact with them on this matter),
or you can install it from a "virtual CD" on your own:

http://blueroomhosting.com/help/tutorials/kvm-install-custom-os.pxl

(Then let them know that you did - in order to "vote" for them starting
to offer Owl.)

As a result, you get not just one VPS, but a VPS capable of VPS hosting!
That is, you purchase a KVM-based VPS, and you can create multiple
OpenVZ VPSes (with any Linux distros, not just Owl!) inside your
KVM-based VPS with Owl.  This may ease your migration from Debian (you
may have a VPS with Debian and a VPS with Owl inside a single KVM-based
VPS with Owl that you purchase).

If you go for this, then please let Blue Room Hosting know that you were
directed to them by Openwall.  If a lot of people do (unlikely, but who
knows), then maybe they'd support our project in a certain way.

A similar "trick" should work with other Linux KVM providers (and you
may find slightly cheaper offers), but I recommend the above one only
since they are security-conscious, which is in line with Owl.

You can also get an OpenVZ-based VPS with Owl from a few companies that
we have worked with in Russia and in the US.  This is currently not
offered on the companies' websites, but they will provide a price quote
for an OpenVZ-based VPS with Owl if you ask for it (and the host system
will most likely run Owl too, if you care).

Moscow, Russia:

DataForce - http://www.openwall.com/DF/
SpaceNet - http://spacenet.ru

SF Bay Area, US: