Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 16:01:58 +0300 (MSK)
From: Andrey V Stolyarov <crocodil@...co.net>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: named SysV order seems to be wrong

Hi all,

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, Dmitry V. Levin wrote:

> Hi,

[...]
> Unless syslog.conf uses remote host names, yes, the "syslog" service
> could be started prior to the "bind" service.

I'd say that even in case syslog.conf does use remote host names,
such names should (hmm, may I say "must"?) be explicitly
mentioned in /etc/hosts. Named is good and more or less stable,
but it crashes from time to time, there can be various
human mistakes that lead to unavailability of some DNS zones,
etc. Logging is the thing which should never be dependent on
these. IMHO.

--
Croco