Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 13:39:13 +0200
From: Honza Vlach <janus@...ny.cz>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Openwall on Sun Enterprise 250 - kernel compile problem
 [ solved ]

Hi,

> No, Owl currently does not provide a 32-to-64-bit gcc for SPARC.  You'll
> have to either build a 32-bit kernel or use a non-Owl build of gcc to
> build a 64-bit kernel.  The ancient 64-bit gcc from Red Hat Linux 6.2
> for SPARC is known to work on Owl 1.1 and build 2.4.x kernels correctly.
> Similarly, Owl itself is known to work and even rebuild OK with such
> 64-bit kernels.

I've successfully compiled new kernel with ancient egcs64 from
http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/redhat/updates/6.0/sparc/egcs64-19980921-4.sparc.html

> Why not simply run Owl's "make installworld" off the Gentoo system?

I wasn't sure if gentoo had cpio or rpm. I've never used gentoo before,
all I needed was a live linux cd.

> This is not the Owl way of doing it.  The (fake) kernel-headers package
> on Owl provides the correct symlinks under /usr/include.  On SPARC, it
> also provides wrappers for 32- vs. 64-bit header files:

> So you did not need to touch anything under /usr/include.  You should
> have merely extracted your kernel sources under /usr/src/linux (as user
> "sources") and configured the kernel (since some header files are only
> produced when you do that).
Mea culpa, thanks for the info. I have recompiled it this way then.

However, work is currently underway to get Owl-current to build
> on SPARC again, so that should be done for the next release.  Full
> sparc64 userland support might be added, too, but no promises yet.  If
> you would like to get involved, please let me know.

Sorry, for various reasons I'm sticking with solaris on this one. To
name a few, weird, indeterministic behaviour of software raid and not
being able to tell hardware watchdog, that the system is OK and doesn't
need service (orange light constantly on, beeping, fine with solaris
booted. )

I've spent 2 days on this with my boss breathing on my neck. I really
don't have time to hack with it any further.

Have a good time,

Honza Vlach