Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 06:58:46 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Owl-current moved to glibc 2.3.x

On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 01:41:08PM +0100, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> The previous versions of current (prior to "The Big Update") has been
> very stable on about 80 production critical servers for us. How about
> naming the 'current' prior to "The Big Update" Owl 1.2-stable (or 1.1.1
> stable or whatever),

Yes, I had this thought, too.  But to do it right, we'd have to make a
1.2 release and that's quite some work (build/test on all archs, build
an ISO image of the latest, propagate it to CD production).  Then we'd
maintain a 1.2-stable instead of 1.1-stable.

If, however, we make a 1.2-stable without a 1.2 release, I don't feel
we'd have the right to abandon 1.1-stable like that.  And maintaining
three branches at once (1.1-stable, 1.2-stable, and current) would be
too much overhead.

Now, there's the option to simply roll all updates from current prior
to the Big Update into 1.1-stable, but there's one change some might
not appreciate despite the system remaining very stable: the Perl
version change (5.6.x to 5.8.x).  This will break support for Perl
modules people have built locally.  Not something to be done within a
stable branch.

> and bump the release number for Owl-current to "Owl-1.3_beta" or
> something similar.

There's no such thing as a release number for Owl-current.  It's just
current.

> Optionally, put the 1.1 binary compatible updates in 1.1_updates and
> stick with current for everything new, including the biggies, before
> bumping the release for that one.

I don't quite understand this suggestion.

There will be updates for 1.1-stable as needed.  These will also work
on current prior to the Big Update, but some might actually be older
versions of packages (again, Perl is the most noticeable example).

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598