Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 19:00:17 +0300
From: croco@...nwall.com
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: [owl-users] Owl 3.1-stable

On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 06:37:10PM +0300, gremlin@...mlin.ru wrote:

> That's why I've introduced the ability to override the configuration
> with a /etc/rc.d/rc.network script in recently published owl-startup
> package: that allows creating the in-host LAN (with simple brctl) and
> even join several such LANs together via cables and switches.

Such ability is good for people who prefer to do everything manually.
There are many of such people, so the ability as such is a good thing, but
I doubt whether any automation like the 'setup' utility can use it somehow.

>  > We can perhaps add value to the out-of-a-box system if we automatize
>  > this kind of setup, may be with another module added to our 'setup'
>  > utility: it could ask the user which private subnet (s)he wants to
>  > use, e.g., 10.177.178.0/24,
>
> Then:
> brctl addbr lan
> ip link set dev lan up
> ip address add 10.177.178.123/24 dev lan
>
> and:
> vzctl set 12345 --ipadd 10.177.178.234

Good hint, thanks.

> The idea of "preserving rules" for netfilter is stupid and dangerous:
> it must be fully configured on every change (so, it has no "start" or
> "stop" calls - only "restart"). Some people may like going to their
> servers physically (by feet), but not me - instead, I always use
>
> /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall.test && sleep 5m && /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall
>
> Obviously, all my /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall scripts start with

Well, my point was not about how the reconfiguraiton is actually done (I
agree it should always go from scratch).  I rather mean that IF there are
some rules in the system that are saved with 'service iptables save', but
are having nothing to do with the tasks solved by 'setup', THEN these rules
should be left as they are, may be notifying the user about their existence
with the ability to view/edit the new configuration.

--
Croco