Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 19:48:53 +0300
From: gremlin@...mlin.ru
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: [owl-users] Owl 3.1-stable

On 2015-01-11 19:00:17 +0300, croco@...nwall.com wrote:

 >> That's why I've introduced the ability to override the
 >> configuration with a /etc/rc.d/rc.network script in recently
 >> published owl-startup package
 > Such ability is good for people who prefer to do everything
 > manually.

The primary reason for doing that was the need to build more
complex configurations than a single ethernet link.

 >>> our 'setup' utility: it could ask the user which private
 >>> subnet (s)he wants to use, e.g., 10.177.178.0/24,
 >> Then: brctl addbr lan; ip link set dev lan up; ip address
 >> add 10.177.178.123/24 dev lan
 >> and: vzctl set 12345 --ipadd 10.177.178.234
 > Good hint, thanks.

The whole configuration may look like this:

ip link set dev eth0 up
ip link set dev eth1 up
brctl addbr hub
brctl stp hub on
brctl addif hub eth0
brctl addif hub eth1
ip link set dev hub up

vconfig add hub 100
ip link set dev hub.100 up
brctl addbr lan
brctl addif lan hub.100
ip link set dev lan up
ip address add 10.177.178.123/24 dev lan

vconfig add hub 200
ip link set dev hub.200 up
brctl addbr wan
brctl addif wan hub.200
ip link set dev wan up
ip address add ... dev wan

Two physical interfaces, each connected to own switch, with STP
support on physical links... quite a common setup :-)

--
Alexey V. Vissarionov aka Gremlin from Kremlin <gremlin ПРИ gremlin ТЧК ru>
GPG: 8832FE9FA791F7968AC96E4E909DAC45EF3B1FA8 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net