Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 12:35:54 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: glibc update

Vasiliy, Dmitry -

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 02:07:20AM +0400, Dmitry V. Levin wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 10:23:30PM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> [...]
> > Thanks for researching it.  I think there's no need to do anything about
> > it yet - we'll upgrade glibc soon.
>
> Is there any specific plan for this glibc update?

Vasiliy - what are your plans for this, of any?  I notice that we have
glibc-2.14.1-owl17 installed on a test build system since February,
but it lacks changelog records (and the -owl17 appears to be left intact
from 2.3.6-owl17), so I don't know who worked on it (I guess you?) and
what state the corresponding patch set is in (I guess dirty hack?)
Perhaps you can/should share your latest glibc patches with the team?

> I'm working on update of ALT's glibc, and there are few issues I'd like to
> discuss if somebody else is interested.  For example, the code introduced
> by owl-alt-res_randomid.diff is not MT-safe (it even has a comment
> explicitly stating that fact) but the resolver is expected to be MT-safe
> nowadays.

Thank you for mentioning this.  Can you start by posting a list of those
issues (summaries like the above), as well as whether you have proposed
fixes for them.

Alexander