Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 09:12:05 +0300
From: Mesut Can Gürle <mesutcang@...il.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: gsoc 2012 participation

2012/3/28 Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>

> Hi,

Do you expect to be "accepted into or enrolled in a college or
> university program as of April 23, 2012" (quoting this year's GSoC FAQ
> entry on eligibility)?

I have been a student from Septembet 2011. There is no problem with
participation. I finished 1st semestre. Now I am in 2nd semestre.

> I think "Support and setup a package repository (for easier
> > updates<http://openwall.info/wiki/Owl/upgrade>),
> > possibly with Zypper, yum, or apt" is a good project for me to begin
> > working with Openwall.
>
> We're not offering this as a student's sole GSoC project - it is part of
> a larger project, and that one has to start with other tasks.
> Specifically, we'd like to determine the tool to use for repository
> access when we already know what libraries we happen to have in the
> system for LAMP.  For example, IIRC, libxml2 will be needed for Zypper,
> but if we already have it for our builds of PHP anyway, then it won't be
> a drawback of Zypper for us anymore.  So the current plan is to start
> with LAMP and then proceed with choice of and packaging of one of these
> tools and its remaining prerequisites.
>
> Actual setup of the repository is largely an administrative task, so it
> may be a task for people currently on our team, whereas under GSoC we're
> offering tasks on getting the relevant software into Owl.

I thougth about repository so I think it is a big job and would be better
to be maintained by a community member. I digged into remaining subjects. I
think the other parts can be done. Also I am very fimiliar with LAMP stack.
I can build and write code for LAMP stack. Firstly as you recommended I
start with LAMP stack and its prerequisites.

> It sounds like you're proposing to write some application from scratch,
> but it is unclear which one and why.  We were not planning to do that as
> part of this task.
>
> So I misunderstood this part. I thougth about a new packaging repo. Now I
understand the point with your help. I want to get fimiliar with code and
try to fork it. Can you recommend me a starting point for this? Is there
any task for me to complete any task to improve my chance to be selected
for GSOC?

 Thanks,

Thanks in advance.

--