Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 16:55:58 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: gsoc 2012 participation

Mesut,

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 10:45:10PM +0300, Mesut Can G?rle wrote:
> I am a MSc student at Dokuz Eylul University(www.deu.edu.tr). I have been
> using debian-ubuntu for 6 years. I was graduated at 2009. Then I worked for
> a firewall distribution called Firelog (www.firelog.com.tr) for 3 years. It
> is a Freebsd based firewall distribution. Last month I quited job. Then I
> turned back to university for master programme. I want to participate GSOC
> programme with Openwall. I am having two classes so I have much free time.

Please do apply to us under GSoC (that is, submit your application via
Melange).  For your project, please specify "Owl: package updates".
This does not directly correspond to any of the tasks we have on our
ideas page, but that's OK.  For the timeline, I suggest that you plan to
make N package updates per week.  What those packages will be and in
what order we'll want them updated is not fully known yet, but my
expectation is that out of the 150+ source packages that we currently
have in Owl we may ask you to update about one third during the summer
(that is, 50 packages).  So if you plan to make 5 package updates per
week, that will work.  Is this something you'd like to work on and be
available for?  I imagine that once you're that involved with Owl, we'll
be able to start giving you more exciting tasks as well (and it'd be
great if you have time left for that during the summer as well).

Note: I am not saying that we'll necessarily accept you under GSoC -
I really don't know yet - but there's a chance that we will.

Thanks,

Alexander