Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 13:22:12 +0800
From: Pavel Labushev <p.labushev@...il.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: %optflags for new gcc

07.11.2011 00:23, Vasiliy Kulikov wrote:

> "ld -z now" might significantly slowdown the loading of bloated apps
> with tons of dynamic libraries like X apps (OpenOffice, Firefox, etc.).

Significantly slowdown? Unlikely. Those apps have very long initialization
times, like about 100x times longer than the -z now slowdown, that become
even longer in many real-world use cases: just launch oowriter vs open a
document with oowriter; just launch firefox vs launch and reopen saved tabs;
etc.

> Given (almost?) all official Owl programs are very small in sense of
> used dynamic libraries, we probably may want to use -z,now in %optflags,
> but not change binutils' defaults.  In this case all manually compiled
> programs, which might be rather large and use numerous dynlibs, will not
> be significantly slowed down.

I have personal experience of default -z now for several years, on servers
and desktops of many kinds, including slow netbooks, and have no complaints.

Please, do test before going for less secure defaults.

[ CONTENT OF TYPE application/pgp-signature SKIPPED ]