Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 13:22:12 +0800
From: Pavel Labushev <p.labushev@...il.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: %optflags for new gcc

07.11.2011 00:23, Vasiliy Kulikov wrote:

> "ld -z now" might significantly slowdown the loading of bloated apps
> with tons of dynamic libraries like X apps (OpenOffice, Firefox, etc.).

Significantly slowdown? Unlikely. Those apps have very long initialization
times, like about 100x times longer than the -z now slowdown, that become
even longer in many real-world use cases: just launch oowriter vs open a
document with oowriter; just launch firefox vs launch and reopen saved tabs;
etc.

> Given (almost?) all official Owl programs are very small in sense of
> used dynamic libraries, we probably may want to use -z,now in %optflags,
> but not change binutils' defaults.  In this case all manually compiled
> programs, which might be rather large and use numerous dynlibs, will not
> be significantly slowed down.

I have personal experience of default -z now for several years, on servers
and desktops of many kinds, including slow netbooks, and have no complaints.

Please, do test before going for less secure defaults.

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (837 bytes)