Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 08:38:26 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Owl test builds

Georgi,

I've just setup the promised OpenVZ container for your test builds (sent
the details to you off-list).

I suggest that you do your builds in two chroots, /owl32 and /owl64,
which you'll need to create.  Of course, I could create two OpenVZ
containers instead, but I think it's nice for you to have a clean system
and to experiment in chroots, which you can easily re-create on your own
(and you can also create more than two if needed).

I suggest that you do something like:

su - build
lftp http://mirrors.kernel.org
cd /openwall/Owl/current
get native.tar.gz
cd x86_64
mirror RPMS
exit # from lftp
tar xzf native.tar.gz
exit # from su
mkdir /owl
cd ~build
make installworld # installs 64-bit Owl userland under /owl
mv /owl /owl64

Then maybe:

useradd -m build32
su - build32
...download for i686...
cp native/Owl/build/installworld.conf .
vi installworld.conf # edit HOME and ROOT
mkdir /owl32
cd ~build
setarch i686 make installworld # installs 32-bit Owl userland under /owl32

Of course, it's preferable to check signatures on stuff you download, as
described here: http://openwall.info/wiki/Owl/upgrade

However, since this is for test builds only, which we're not going to
use directly (instead, we'd review and commit the resulting patches,
then do clean builds elsewhere), security of this setup is not terribly
important.  This is why I don't insist on you being more careful.

For the actual test builds, you'd use:

chroot /owl64
su - build
...download stuff again (or copy from outside of chroot)...
make buildworld

and:

setarch i686 chroot /owl32
...ditto...

Please let me know if you have any questions or run into any issues.
For general Owl usage/build issues, please post in here.  For issues
specific to this server setup (e.g., connectivity), e-mail me off-list.

Thanks,

Alexander