Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 21:13:44 +0300
From: Vasiliy Kulikov <>
Subject: iputils s20101006

Solar, all -

I'm trying to update our iputils to the newest version.  Issues I've

1) Our kernel lacks SO_MARK socket option.  It was added in 2008 to
Linux v2.6.25, but was not ported to RHEL5 kernel:;a=commit;h=4a19ec5800fc3bb64e2d87c4d9fdd9e636086fe0

I've simply commented out the command line argument processing and
setsockopt() call.

2) New arping wants libsysfs and fails to build without it:

arping: arping.o -lsysfs

I'm sure we want to packetize this library as currently some other tools
use this library.  The library itself (without binaries) is 70 kb on

However, if we find it unneeded for Owl, I may delete all occurrences of
sysfs (I believe it is used for information purpose only).

3) manpages are now generated from docbook files:

$(MANFILES): index.db
	@-mkdir tmp.db2man
	@set -e; cd tmp.db2man; nsgmls ../$< | sgmlspl ../ ;	mv $@ ..
	@-rm -rf tmp.db2man

Looks like we have to ship precompiled manpages.

Solar, please comment on (2).

Vasiliy Kulikov - bringing security into open computing environments