Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 10:41:57 +0000
From: Simon Baker <>
Subject: Re: VLANs in Owl way?

> Piotr, Simon -
> On Mon, Mar 07, 2011 at 09:18:08AM +0100, Piotr Meyer wrote:
>> I think about adding vlan (8021q) support to Owl's network scripts.
> I'd appreciate you proposing a patch.
> Please note that we're also planning to rework the networking startup
> scripts, and to add IPv6 support.
> Simon did some work on this, but never contributed any code.  Simon -
> are you still around?  Can you please share your work-in-progress such
> that we take a look and possibly have another person start from there?
I am, and I'm still reading the list when I get a chance ;-)

I had a hdd crash a while back and I lost the (bit) of work I had done.
  I was generally looking at how redhat, etc, handled ipv6.  I thought
that this approach was the cleanest (note this is how a user would
configure it):

Also, with Owl having "redhat" / "centos" 'isms, i started work using
some patches / scripts which I found here:

I can't seem to see them today though.  I do however have a directory
which contains some of them, though I'm really not sure how useful these
will be in their present state.

I apologise again for slacking on this ; work commitments have been
taking up too much time recently.

Moving forward, one of the things I was going to propose actually was a
more functional kernel config similar to how slackware provides them ; a
"normal" kernel and a "huge" kernel with lots more features enabled,
which could contain support for many other things which are not enabled
by default, such as LVM device mapper, crypt-targets, vlan, ipv6, etc.
  Of course I do appreciate the settings configured in the normal
config, it's just that they no longer suit my own personal needs now,
and the OpenVZ kernel can occasionally be a pain to successfully compile.