Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 08:21:18 -0600
From: Mark Felder <feld@...d.me>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: cve-assign@...re.org
Subject: Re: CVE-Request: Assign CVE for common-collections remote
 code execution on deserialisation flaw

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015, at 17:22, Tim wrote:

> > The currently proposed "fix"[1] is to disable functionality that is
> > being used. This will break applications that need them.
> >
> > [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COLLECTIONS-580
>

> I just read through that thread and I did not see anyone indicating
> that the fix breaks applications.  Only speculation.  Perhaps you
> meant to link us somewhere else?
>
> tim

The patch[1] attached to that JIRA report would disable serialization by
default. Any application that needs it would require a code change to
re-enable it. This would break existing applications.

+                    "Serialization and deserialization of
InvokerTransformer are disabled for security reasons. " +
+                    "To re-enable it set, system property '" +
DESERIALIZE + "' to 'true'." +
+                    "See
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COLLECTIONS-580 for details.");

[1]