Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 03:36:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: cve-assign@...re.org
To: robert@...ert.io
Cc: cve-assign@...re.org, oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE request for sqlalchemy-utils

> https://github.com/Netflix/lemur/issues/117
> https://github.com/kvesteri/sqlalchemy-utils/issues/166

> does not use a random IV when encrypting with AES in CBC mode

> I noticed the issue when reviewing the code for Netflix's Lemur tool
> and they were not previously aware of the issue

We think that, of the plausible alternatives here, the best choice is
to assign a CVE ID to Lemur 0.1.4 because of this "were not previously
aware of the issue" (in other words, they wanted to have the usual
random-IV behavior and had selected a library that didn't offer that
behavior). Use CVE-2015-7764.

https://github.com/kvesteri/sqlalchemy-utils/issues/166#issuecomment-146252997
indicates that the without-random-IV behavior was intentional within
sqlalchemy-utils itself. Also, the sqlalchemy-utils documentation
apparently doesn't advertise any specific security properties for its
encryption. For example:

  http://sqlalchemy-utils.readthedocs.org/en/latest/data_types.html#module-sqlalchemy_utils.types.encrypted

just says "provides a way to encrypt and decrypt values." If it had
stated "encrypt and decrypt values with AES," then there might have
been a reasonable argument that random-IV behavior is required, i.e.,
otherwise, a user's expectations about standard practices wouldn't be
satisfied. In other words, the sqlalchemy-utils documentation omits
potentially useful facts but isn't directly misleading. CVE IDs
typically aren't assigned in that situation.

(We do realize that the OSS release of Lemur is very new, and that
sqlalchemy-utils has much greater usage, e.g., it has a Debian
package. We don't have any information about whether Lemur or any
other Netflix OSS package is already in widespread use outside of
Netflix, e.g., because it is included in a major Linux distribution or
for another reason.)

- --
CVE assignment team, MITRE CVE Numbering Authority
M/S M300
202 Burlington Road, Bedford, MA 01730 USA
[ PGP key available through http://cve.mitre.org/cve/request_id.html ]