Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2015 05:25:11 +0000
From: Fiedler Roman <Roman.Fiedler@....ac.at>
To: "fw@...eb.enyo.de" <fw@...eb.enyo.de>
CC: "oss-security@...ts.openwall.com" <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: AW: Re: CVE request: screen stack overflow (deep
 recursion)

> Von: cve-assign@...re.org [mailto:cve-assign@...re.org]

> Use CVE-2015-6806.
>
> We feel that the CVE inclusion case for this issue might be marginal.
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=797624#5 says
>
>   Hence this can be used to cause a denial of service attack by
>   tricking a user into e.g. displaying a file with "cat" inside screen

What about "tail -f /var/log/syslog", Apache or other kind of logs for
debugging? [Yes, that's often how logs are running over the screen in videos
when talking about IT-security]. It's convenient and I'm using screen
exactly to avoid any injection of commands via TIOCSTI into my current TTY
when a context switch is needed before starting tail, e.g. when working with
LXC containers.

Still not sure, if this is an argument for CVE inclusion, at least it is one
for more auditing/hardening on tools like screen, which is now happening.
Thanks for that!

> [..snip..]

[ CONTENT OF TYPE application/pkcs7-signature SKIPPED ]