Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 22:32:19 +0300
From: Alexander Cherepanov <cherepan@...me.ru>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE request: out-of-bounds memory access flaw
 in unrtf

On 2014-12-08 18:36, Hanno Böck wrote:
> Just to keep people updated on this:

Thanks for this.

> Jean-Francois Dockes replied to my bug reports, he's one of the last
> people who did work on unrtf and he's in contact with the maintainer.
> They'll work on fixing all the issues reported. I also pointed them to
> Fabian's patch.
>
> This sounds good, hopefully we'll get a new unrtf release with fixes
> for all the known issues soon

0.21.6 is out and seems to incorporate the fixes from Jean-Francois
Dockes (with reformatting). Expecting to find security mentioned in
ChangeLog or other docs is too much, I guess.

I've fuzzed unrtf with the patch from Fabian Keil a bit and I've found 8
crashes (with different RIP). All of them are fixed in the version by
Jean-Francois Dockes (and hence in the release). If someone wants to
take a look at them I can upload them somewhere.

OTOH unrtf seems to be a recursive program:

$ perl -e 'print "{" x 100000' > test.rtf
$ unrtf-0.21.6/src/unrtf -P unrtf-0.21.6/outputs test.rtf
Segmentation fault

--
Alexander Cherepanov