Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 13:39:49 +0000
From: Sven Kieske <S.Kieske@...twald.de>
To: "oss-security@...ts.openwall.com" <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: docker VMM breakout

Am 18.06.2014 12:15, schrieb David Jorm:
> I tested libvirt via virsh and by default both CAP_DAC_READ_SEARCH and
> CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE are available (and thus the PoC does run). However,
> this default is well documented as is the general insecurity of libvirt
> in regards to DAC, so I don't think a CVE ID is required for libvirt.

I fail to see why this should be true.
On most distributions libvirt spawned vms do not run as root but as user
qemu or similar.
according to the documentation at:
http://libvirt.org/drvqemu.html#securitycap

this should imply that libvirt drops these capabilities.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Regards

Sven Kieske

Systemadministrator
Mittwald CM Service GmbH & Co. KG
Königsberger Straße 6
32339 Espelkamp
T: +49-5772-293-100
F: +49-5772-293-333
https://www.mittwald.de
Geschäftsführer: Robert Meyer
St.Nr.: 331/5721/1033, USt-IdNr.: DE814773217, HRA 6640, AG Bad Oeynhausen
Komplementärin: Robert Meyer Verwaltungs GmbH, HRB 13260, AG Bad Oeynhausen