Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 13:47:38 -0800
From: Greg KH <greg@...ah.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: speiro@....upv.es, cve-assign@...re.org
Subject: Re: Re: CVE Request: staging/cxt1e1/linux.c: Correct
 arbitrary memory write in c4_ioctl()

On Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 03:27:20PM -0500, cve-assign@...re.org wrote:
> The scope of CVE doesn't exclude issues that exist only in software
> that's at a beta level or similar level. See for example "Attendees
> agreed that CVE should include problems in beta software, provided
> that the beta code was intended for public dissemination" in the
> http://cve.mitre.org/data/board/archives/2000-03/msg00007.html post.
>
> The CVEs of interest to the community tend to be ones that are
> "common" -- in other words, they are present at multiple sites, and a
> CVE ID would actually be used (typically in multiple contexts) as the
> mechanism for naming and tracking the vulnerability.
>
> For the specific case of staging drivers, a relevant example is "this
> driver is enabled in the Debian 6.0 kernel" for:
>
>   http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2011/08/09/7
>   http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2011-2909

Thanks a lot for this information, I'll remember it for next time.

> So, any background about the discovery would be helpful, e.g., is the
> driver enabled in a distribution, or is someone shipping a Linux-based
> appliance or device that relies on the driver. The full list is
> substantial -- http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/STAGING.html seems
> relevant although that's a third-party presentation and not directly
> the primary source.

The driver was merged into the 2.6.35 kernel release, so odds are, lots
of distros are enabling it and shipping it.

Note that you need to have CAP_SYS_ADMIN rights in order to cause this
problem, I don't know if that matters in the CVE assignment or not.

thanks,

greg k-h