Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 11:58:32 -0400
From: Steve Grubb <sgrubb@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Corey Bryant <coreyb@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>, Tim Brown <tmb@...35.com>
Subject: Re: Re: [kernel-hardening] Security vulnerability tools

On Wednesday, March 27, 2013 05:51:19 PM Corey Bryant wrote:
> Thanks Tim.  Sounds nice.  This is the first security audit tool on the
> list so if we could add more in this category that would be nice.

There is also openscap if you are wanting security auditing.
http://www.open-scap.org/page/Main_Page

You can get SCAP content from various places.

As far as tools, I often look at the collection at the owasp web site:
https://www.owasp.org/index.php?title=Phoenix/Tools

web scarab and sqlmap are good.

There are lots of tools here as well:
http://securitytools.wikidot.com/penetration-vulnerability-ids-ips

There are so many tools, its hard to find the ones that are well maintained.
Many are good at first and then bit rot over the years.

-Steve