Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 09:39:23 +0100
From: Andreas Ericsson <ae@....se>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
CC: Corey Bryant <coreyb@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: Security vulnerability tools

On 03/27/2013 08:54 PM, Corey Bryant wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to get a better understanding of tools used in the open source community (kernel and user space) to detect security vulnerabilities.
>
> I have a list below to get started.  If anyone has any input, I'd appreciate it!
>
> I'll plan on updating http://oss-security.openwall.org/wiki/tools with anything it doesn't already have.

sparse works similarly to clang. It was hacked up by the kernel folks
for finding potential errors in the linux kernel.

I like it particularly because it has very few false positives, unlike
most other tools I've tried. That means it's actually viable to strive
for "no warnings" from it and run it as part of automated testsuites.

--
Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson@....se

on peace.