Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 23:33:55 -0400
From: Michael Rash <mbr@...herdyne.org>
To: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com, Jan Lieskovsky <jlieskov@...hat.com>,
	"Steven M. Christey" <coley@...us.mitre.org>,
	Damien Stuart <dstuart@...uart.org>
Subject: Re: CVE Request -- fwknop 2.0.3: Multiple security
 issues

On Sep 19, 2012, Kurt Seifried wrote:

> On 09/19/2012 12:10 PM, Jan Lieskovsky wrote:
> > Hello Kurt, Steve, vendors,
> >
> > multiple securit issues have been corrected in 2.0.3 upstream
> > version of fwknop
> > (http://www.cipherdyne.org/blog/categories/software-releases.html):
> >

> -
> > 1) multiple DoS / code execution flaws: Upstream patch: [1]
> > http://www.cipherdyne.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=fwknop.git;a=commitdiff;h=d46ba1c027a11e45821ba897a4928819bccc8f22
>
> Ok
> >
> yeah this seems to be mostly changes related to char buf[32] to
> char buf[ACCESS_BUF_LEN], plus some logic cleanups (like making sure
> the port specified is larger than 0 and less than MAX_PORT). So I'll
> lump them all together rather than separate them.
>
> Please use CVE-2012-4434 for this issue.

Understood, thanks.

> > 2) server did not properly validate allow IP addresses from
> > malicious authenticated clients Upstream patch: [2]
> > http://www.cipherdyne.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=fwknop.git;a=commitdiff;h=f4c16bc47fc24a96b63105556b62d61c1ba7d799
>
> Stupid
> >
> question possibly (didn't look at the code apart from the fix).
> I see:
>
> if(char_ctr >= MAX_IPV4_STR_LEN)
>
> but nothing for IPv6 (does fwknopd even support ipv6?)... someone may
> want to check that.

fwknop does not yet support ipv6, but this is planned and will update
the check above to allow v6 addresses.

In terms of raw ipv4 validation, there was one additional commit to
leverage inet_aton():

http://www.cipherdyne.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=fwknop.git;a=commitdiff;h=263fa01f2af1d336961df320f1c7a9ea84ddac9a

This code made it into the 2.0.3 release.

> Please use CVE-2012-4435for this issue.

Will do.

> > 3) strict filesystem permissions for various fwknop files are not
> > verified
>
> This seems more like security hardening. Generally speaking network
> daemons are not responsible for ensuring the safety of their own files
> (the system should have a sane configuration). Also if I assign a CVE
> for this then every single daemon that creates a config file and fails
> to check the permissions qualifies for a CVE that's a few hundred
> thousand CVEs =). For example: OpenSSH, it has a number of checks on
> file permissions, no CVE's for that.

Understood.

> > 4) local buffer overflow in --last processing with a maliciously
> > constructed ~/.fwknop.run file Upstream patch: [3]
> > http://www.cipherdyne.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=fwknop.git;a=commitdiff;h=a60f05ad44e824f6230b22f8976399340cb535dc
>
> This
> >
> is the MAX_CMDLINE_ARGS stuff specifically I assume?

Yes, that's it.

> Please use CVE-2012-4436 for this issue.

Will do, thanks.

--
Michael Rash
http://www.cipherdyne.org/